Saturday, June 30, 2012

Houston, we've got a problem!



We’ve got a problem!  We’ve got trouble!  You’ve dropped the ball!  I’m sending you an email you’re not going to like!  This is the IRS, you’re going to be audited! 
All things you don’t like to hear when you answer the phone.  It’s meant to shock.  I get that and if you like confrontation and putting people immediately on the defensive, then that’s the correct approach.

I, on the other hand, don’t react well to that approach.  As a matter of fact, my level of respect drops for people who use this tact.  And I have met a lot of professionals over the years who believe using a loud voice and carrying a big stick works in the professional world.  I turn them off, but that’s just me.  Others may quiver and react when threatened.
I believe that people in the professional world, in general, aim to please.  Everyone makes mistakes and there are challenges to be faced every day.  Offering respect, choices and solutions go a lot further in my books.  That’s why I like the quote, “You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar”.  Words to live by.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,

    I am planning to move-up my career in HVAC design. My engineering background is mechanical, my work experience is cad design of custom fridges (cabinets of various length, width and depth). So far that is the closest thing I am in refrigeration, and miles away in my HVAC know-how. If I will come to work with you on Monday next week, what things should I know to be of "useful" in the work place? I know experience is a great teacher, but somehow I should be learning the basic, so I can start running when I hit the ground. I hope you can give me the reality of what you expect. I plan to apply for work in an HVAC firm. I'm digging the internet for useful knowledge, in that way I have the chance to be employed.

    Thanks,
    Victor from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victor,

    Good to hear from someone so far away. My sister-in-law lives in Hamilton. Beautiful country.

    To your question. If you were to come and work for me on Monday, right away you have an advantage as you have CAD experience. Revit is becoming more popular with the advent of 3D design, but CAD isn't going away anytime soon. We like to start most of our junior designers on CAD creating drawings from mark ups from senior designers. That way they get a feel for how the various HVAC components go together on a job. Revit experience is good to have, but it that is really gained through on the job experience.

    The other good knowledge to have have is in heat/cool load calculation software (such as Trace, or HAP or IES). Senior engineers like to rely on juniors to input the data and run the load calculations for sizing equipment.

    Hope this is of some help. Feel free to ask anything further and good luck in your job hunt.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,

    Thanks for the info. It will help a lot. Definitely would ask further in the future. But I don't want to post questions on your blog comments because they will break the topic. I was looking somewhere to post in your profile, hence posted it in your latest blog. Find your blog thru Chloe's blog Life and Times of an HVAC engineer. Thanks again.

    Cheers,
    Victor

    ReplyDelete