Monday, May 21, 2012

Stuttering Tips

One of the trainees from Buffalo stuttered when he spoke.  I can’t pretend to know what it might be like to go through life with that affliction, but he managed very well.  I didn’t know he stuttered and when I first met him he gave me instructions on photocopying. 
He used the word duplicate, only it came out d-d-d-d-d-duplicate.  It had to be a joke, so I laughed.  I soon learned otherwise.  He was a gem of a guy with a great sense of humor.  I guess it helps when you have a condition like that in your speech.

Back in Canada I experienced his sense of humor first hand.  He pretended to be a US client who wanted to place a large fan order for a Canadian project.  He led me on for quite a while and had me a little stressed.  I asked for his phone number so I could consult with some of our senior personnel.  I recognized the number as one from our Buffalo office.  Immediately I knew Pete was having me on and when I challenged him on it, we both had a laugh.  Through the entire conversation while he was having me on, he never stuttered once!

1 comment: