Sunday, July 29, 2012

Working for the Weekend!



It seems to be a generational thing.  I am of the baby boom generation, but I always believed that if your work hours were eight to five, then you made sure you were at work, at your desk five to ten minutes before that.  Today’s generation use that as a “guideline”.  Even an eight hour day seems to be just a “guideline”.


I’m not sure how this happened.  If the next generation were raised by parents of my vintage, wouldn’t these work ethics be passed down?  Will my kids be of the same understanding when it comes to work hours?  I suppose I should nip this in the bud while I still can.

It seems that plus/minus thirty minutes (sometimes even more) is an acceptable range when it comes to work hours.  And an eight hour day appears to be an option.  If there is less than eight hours on a particular day, the extra hours will be made up another day….possibly.  I was always of the belief that if you had to leave an hour early, then you arrived an hour early….and you let your manager know that this was the case.  For the most part, the latest generation putting in time, believes in the freedom to come and go within the work hour “guidelines”.  If it was only a select few, this could be dealt with….BUT IT’S THE ENTIRE GENERATIONAL WORK FORCE!!!  Alas, I am forced to assimilate or else risk losing the work force I spent several years training.

And don’t get me started on flex hours and the alternative work week program.  I no longer have any idea who works when and for how long….just get your work done and I suppose I should be satisfied.

Everybody’s just working for the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment